The Greater Kansas City Spinal Cord Injury Association (GKCSCIA) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, run entirely by volunteers. We are an independent Chapter of United Spinal Association. Your free membership in GKCSCIA includes membership to United Spinal Association offering benefits such as:
- Connecting with the SCI/D community in your area
- Peer support, information and guidance
- Priority support from SCI/D experts through our Ask Us service
- Support in claims for VA benefits & services for members who are military veterans
- Free subscription to New Mobility Magazine our members magazine
- Monthly e-newsletter
- Alerts on key disability-related legislative issues
- Free Webinars on topics related to disability
- On-Line Resources
Chapter members are people living with SCI/D, their significant other/spouse, parents, siblings and friends. They are medical and non-medical professionals, caregivers, product and service providers, public policy makers and others who are interested in the issues affecting people with SCI/D.
GKCSCIA hosts a variety of local programs and events geared toward helping people with spinal cord injuries/disabilities maximize their independence and increase their quality of life. Some of these include:
- Peer Support
- Social Outings
- Membership Meetings
Peer Support is offered member to member. For more details see our Peer Support tab or contact Adam Lane.
Social Events include:
- Adaptive Sports Clinics are held throughout the year in partnership with other nonprofit organizations to give people with SCI/D a chance to be active and try out different sports such as wheelchair softball, adaptive rowing or waterskiing, snow skiing, horseback riding and handcycling. These outings are non-competitive and geared toward having FUN!
- Membership Meetings are held about 4 times a year and offer members and their families and friends the opportunity to socialize and have fun.